THE BEST GLUTEN FREE SNICKERDOODLES

Me being allergic to gluten and dairy products makes it almost impossible for me to find a delicious dessert.  Last weekend, the boredom of being home alone struck, and I felt the urge to bake something.  After I decided I wanted snickerdoodles, I searched the Internet for the perfect recipe.  It was hard, but I finally stumbled upon a recipe that I could use.  I of course had to swap some ingredients so it would fit all my allergy restrictions.  For example, instead of using regular butter, I went for Ghee butter, which is clarified butter that works the same as normal butter but instead contains no dairy.  I also used gluten free flour (duh!).  The cookies turned out amazing.  I normally am not very good at baking, so I was extra proud of myself for making these! 
Here's what you will need:
6 1/2 table spoons of Ghee butter, at room temperature (I used ghee butter because I am allergic to dairy)
1/2 cup  granulated sugar
1 egg, , at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Cinnamon sugar mixture, for rolling 
And now for the steps!
-In a large bowl, place the butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Add the flour, xanthan gum, salt, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, baking soda, and cream of tartar to the wet ingredients, mixing to combine after each addition.
  • -Transfer the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap, wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes to an hour). Once the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 375°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
  • -Divide the dough into 18 pieces of roughly equal size. Roll each piece of dough between your palms until it forms a ball, and then press into a disk. Toss each disk in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until it is well-coated. Place the balls of dough into the freezer for about 10 minutes, until firm again. Roll each ball of dough in the cinnamon-sugar mixture once more, and arrange them about 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets.
  • -Place the rimmed baking sheets in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or they are either pale but flat (8 minutes), or a tiny bit crisp around the edges (10 minutes). Cool on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • I hope you all enjoy this recipe! 

Comments